Laminte. Corian. Countertop innovations are coming and going constantly! While materials like granite are a classic, and will look beautiful forever, what other countertop materials can take the punishment a kitchen dishes out? These are our Top 5 alternates!
- STAINLESS STEEL: Stainless steel lends a modern look to nearly any kitchen! Stainless steel coordinates with any color and is one of the easiest countertop materials to clean — just wipe it with a cloth and mild soap. The most appealing characteristic of this material is its ability to prevent bacteria buildup, making it the most hygienic countertop available. Of course stainless steel won't work in every kitchen design, but if you're ready for a change a professional firm like AK can help you incorporate this look into your space!
- GLASS: Aside from its sleek, clean appearance, glass countertops have many benefits. Glass can be cut into any shape and texture and can be stained in any color. Even though it's a pricier option, it's becoming increasingly more popular because of its modern look. It's easy to keep clean and its non-porous surface makes it stain-resistant and one of the most hygienic countertop materials available. To make it more durable, choose glass that's at least 1 inch thick and tempered.
- CONCRETE: Concrete countertops are highly customizable — you can choose any stain color and texture. Concrete mixes well with many different materials, such as glass, tile and marble to create a one-of-a-kind look. Aside from its eye-pleasing appearance, it is energy efficient — when the temperature in your home rises, concrete captures the heat and releases it when the temperature cools down.
- WOOD: To get a rich, warm look in your kitchen, opt for thick wood countertops. Wood countertops can be both functional and decorative. Functional ones are ideal for chopping food, and most decorative ones are installed on kitchen islands for a luxurious look. Once sealed, wood countertops are sanitary for chopping meat, and you don't have to worry about putting hot pots and pans on the surface because it's heat-resistant. Check out AK's page for more on wood countertops!
- QUARTZ: Quartz is one of the hardest substances on earth and is practically maintenance-free. It doesn't need to be sealed like many other stone countertops and is extremely durable. AK has used many different kids of quartz products and we're happy to discuss their pros and cons for your unique project!